Pages

.


.

Why Don't They Say, "Cats Are a Woman's Best Friend?"

views the best pictures


"Dogs are a man's best friend." We have all heard that saying and it is great to see men with their dogs on hiking trails and at the beach and in their trucks. Where did this popular phrase come from?
Drawings in prehistoric times show hunters and dogs. Dogs followed hunters to scavenge scraps of food and bones the hunters left behind. The dogs probably hung around hunter's tents and since dogs have a keener sense of smell and hearing than men, they protected the men by barking and scaring away wild animals that came close to the tent.
Hunters fed the dogs, and dogs protected the hunters and hunters and dogs became companions. And men and dogs still are companions.
In America, according to research, 41,000,000 people have dogs as pets and spend $1.5 billion on dog food each year, which is almost four times the amount spent on baby food.
Doctors say dogs help us feel more relaxed and help lower blood pressure when we pet them and take them out for walks.
When my sons were young boys, our dog would go to the windows by the front door each afternoon and patiently wait for them to come home from school and would greet them wagging his tail and being all excited.
So, if they say "dogs are a man's best friend" why don't they say "cats are a woman's best friend?" After all, most photos we see of cats are cats lying in the sun or on women's laps.
I had a lovely black cat with white paws and whiskers. My children named him Tuxedo. He was quite independent but he also knew when I was feeling blue and would come to sit with me to make me feel better. Late at night I would hear the squeak of the cat door as Tuxedo came in and went out. That always made me smile.
One day, as I was working at my desk at home, I intuited Tuxedo come into the room and lay down at my feet. Sometime later, I went to pat him and noticed a mouse was also at my feet. Tuxedo had proudly brought me a gift - not one I would have chosen - but a gift none the less.
Just looking at cats lazing in the warmest, sunniest places in the house makes me feel calm and happy. The way cats mindfully stretch and gracefully walk - they are like feline yoga teachers. And cats are so patient and undemanding as they silently go to a door and wait to be let out or brought into the house.
So, if "dogs are a man's best friend," I think it should be said that "cats are a woman's best friend," don't you?
Nancy Nicolazzo offers online, telephone and Skype life coaching. A twenty-year veteran of teaching, consulting and coaching, she assists individuals and corporate professionals to find new skills to improve their personal and professional lives with skillfulness, compassion and mindfulness.
For a free list of ways to practice mindfulness, click here http://mindfulworkshops.com

No comments:

Post a Comment