Pages

.


.

Litterbox Do's And Don'ts - How To Keep Your Cats Happy By James E McCarthy

views the best pictures


So you just acquired a cat. You've never had one before, so you have a lot to learn about its care and feeding.
There have been a lot of articles published about the care and feeding of cats, telling you how important it is to have the correct nourishment for your cat so your cat will stay healthy. They tell you how to ensure that your active pet gets enough exercise to keep him or her sleek and alert. And you will have read about how to look after its medicinal needs, I'm sure.
But I have never, ever seen an article that will help you with another important aspect of the cat's life, namely, the litterbox.
Perhaps this little article of mine will help in this regard!
If your cat is an outdoor cat, your cat will use the outdoors for his toilet needs, but you should still have a litterbox in the home for those times when tabby can't go out. Like in the winter, if you live in an area of snow, or during a thunderstorm if you have a 'fraidy-cat (as I have).
My education about the litterbox started when I visited my son and his wife a couple of years ago. I had recently lost my wife, and my son had recently got married.
The problem was, my son not only obtained a new bride, but she had a large, white, female cat. My son had a feisty, young, female tabby cat. But, unlike my son and his wife, the two female cats just didn't see eye to eye. They definitely couldn't live together in the same house without a lot of spitting and clawing whenever they would meet.
So the white cat had the run of the upstairs, and the tabby was relegated to the downstairs. This wasn't so bad, as the recreation room was downstairs, and it was there that my son and his wife spent most evenings. So the little cat had lots of loving human companionship.
But when I came for a visit, my son reminded me that I am now living alone, and would welcome the affections of this little cat.
I have to admit it... I really do like the little thing.
So when I went home, the little cat came with me.
Because I was still working at that time (I've since retired), I thought that the little cat might get lonely all alone in my house while I was away during the day. I found out later that cats don't mind spending their alone time curled up in a ball sound asleep.
I noticed an advertisement offering a neutered, de-clawed, male tabby looking for a good home. He was raised from a kitten by an older gentleman who got sick, then passed away in the hospital. He had no family, and a kind neighbour had taken him in temporarily.
But this guy was scared to death in his new home. The neighbour had two dogs, one cat and three small children. So his spent his whole time hidden in a corner under a bed, just stealing out at night for a few bites, or a quick drink, or to use the litterbox.
When I heard this, I figured he would fit right in as company for my little cat, and, after all, I'm an old dude like his previous master.
So I took him into my home.
He was very afraid at first, but gradually he came around and now is a totally trusting, very fine fellow, who not only tolerates the female, but actually comes to greet my friends and family when they visit. He is at my bedside every morning, pawing at my arm until I give him a head-scratch and some loving.
So the 2 cats and I are now just one big happy family.
But I had to learn about the litterbox. I'd like to pass on what I learned to you.
There are two types of litter - clumping and non-clumping.
I bought the non-clumping type once, just once, and after my experience, suggest that you never buy it. However, try it if you must.
So I'll just discuss the clumping type.
You can get it scented or non-scented. The cats don't seem to care, so it's just a personal choice depending upon the location in your house of the litterbox.
I spend the little bit extra to get the type that is scented, and treated with some chemical that reacts with the urine and feces to nullify their odours. Read the bag or box before you purchase it if this is something that might work for you.
There is also a type for multiple cats in the household. I have no idea what that means, or how it works, but, what the heck, it is only a couple of cents more.
I heard a story from a friend who works in the local supermarket. Seems an older lady came into the store and complained that her cats just won't eat the cat food that she purchased for them, and wanted her money back. You guessed it. She bought cat litter, not cat food. The store gave the old dear a couple of large bags of the proper cat food 'On the House'! I thought that was good of them.
I found I had a small problem when I first started putting out the litterbox. The cats did their business inside the box most of the time, but often would get their backside over the edge, and I found puddles and deposits on the outside of the box occasionally.
To fix this, I went to the local heating contractor, and had him make a small metal three-sided box about twelve inches high that I pop-riveted to the plastic litterbox so the sides of the litterbox are now eight inches higher than they were before (the litterbox itself is four inches high). I left the front open. Problem solved.
Now the only problem I have is that the cats, in their enthusiasm to 'bury' their deposit, often throw litter out onto the floor. I have a small whisk and scoop handy to take care of that.
I have a special plastic bucket with tight-fitting hinge lid into which I have placed a kitchen-sized disposable plastic bag. I give it a quick spray with Lysol before inserting the bag, and it disinfects and deodorizes the bucket.
To get all the clumps and lumps, I imagine the litterbox divided into six sections. Using a special litterbox scoop that I purchased for a buck at the local Dollar Store, I start scooping the front right area, then the front left, then the center right, center left, back right and finally the back left. That way nothing is missed. When you pick up the clump or lump, shake the scoop, and the excess litter will go back into the litterbox.
Well, I've enjoyed writing this article. I hope it will make your litterbox life a little easier for you.
Happy litterbox scooping!

No comments:

Post a Comment